800-222-9711

Series reserve's with DOD workaround?

More
2 years 6 months ago #1121 by dylcalhoon
Howdy!

Right now when a patron has multiple series preferences and is set up for DoD, KLAS exhausts one entire series onto the service queue before moving onto another. Has anybody come up with a good work around besides manually mixing them around? Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #1122 by kpaczosa
Great question! Someone at MBTBL called it "massaging the queue", but it takes a lot of extra time.

More
2 years 6 months ago #1126 by SamLundberg
We generally use Author preferences instead of Series preferences for exactly this reason. With Author, the books will be mixed, and if the patron wants a few at a time from each series you can just bump up the weight. The big things to consider, however, are that you may need to add series exclusions for a series the patron doesn't want from that same author (JP Beaumont doesn't get as much love here in New Mexico) and you may need to add preemptive "HasHad" records for random one-off or non-fiction titles that the patron doesn't want.

That said, this is something that came up at the KLAS Users Conference, and something I'd love to see changed. It sounds like you'd prefer Series to work like Author and cycle through, rather than exhaust each series in turn? Would that solve the problem? Do any libraries prefer the way Series works now on DoD?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kpaczosa

More
2 years 6 months ago #1127 by patrick20k
I think those are exactly the right questions, Sam--Thank you!

Everyone please keep chiming in to let us know what you think. I'm monitoring the thread and will make sure Development hears about your preferences on this.

More
2 years 6 months ago #1131 by epawlus
Yes - still very interested in having series cycle through like the authors. At one time we tried to have author preference go from earliest to latest to keep everything in order that way, but we experienced more complaints because people were mostly looking for the most current books by an author. We switched it back to reverse chronological order and look forward to some development magic for series!

More
2 years 5 months ago #1143 by tkalber
I would like for series to work the same way they did before DoD. When a patron returned a book in a series, KLAS automatically assigned the next book in the series to go out to a patron. So it would be nice to have something similar - when a book comes back, place the next title in the series in the patron's service queue. Or alternately, cycle through series the same way it cycles through authors.

I think it's much easier to add an entire series to a patron's service queue than it is to have to manually add a few books from each series to the service queue.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711