800-222-9711

Patron - Profile - Nightly Debug send a reminder email

More
2 years 6 months ago #1110 by NC-Craig
Hi there, one feature that would be nice to see developed would be a kind of reminder email sent at some kind of time interval after we run nightly debug on a patrons profile, to see how nightly interacted with the patron's account on the nightly run. The reason being, is that when I am generally asked or think to run this, I'm usually in the middle of other activities and often I will ask to have it run but forget that it was run so I can check the results. I'd prefer not to forgot and be able to be prompted to check. Case in point, I just had this situation where I chose to run Nightly Debug on a patron on 8/31/2021 and today I was asked another question about that same patron with respect to why an order hadn't been created recently, even thought they were below max? Some kind of reminder mechanism would have been helpful in my situation so that I could better monitor what's happening and be reminded that I needed to check things again after the debug. Without a prompting by a Reader Advisory I missed reviewing the Nightly Debug log from 2 weeks ago.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #1112 by patrick20k
That makes sense to me--I'll pass the idea along!

In the meantime, you might consider adding an RS Reason for the patron at the time you set them to Nightly Debug. You can add a custom reason on the Profile tab, using the Add Reason button in the bottom right, so it's pretty close at hand when you turn on the Nightly Debug. Set it to trigger the following day (or after the patron's next service date) with whatever description you want, whether that's "Check Nightly Debug" or "Remind Craig to look at this patron."

More
2 years 6 months ago #1123 by michael_lang
Anyone want to go into more detail on Nightly Debug. Or point in in the direction of a document that explains it? thanks

More
2 years 6 months ago #1124 by patrick20k
Sure thing, Michael!

Nightly Debug is an option that you can select on a patron's medium profile that essentially saves the log from Nightly Processing to a comment on the patron's record. It'll include all the things that nightly "thinks" about as it tries to serve the patron, including how much service it thinks the patron is due for and the results of each program it runs to try to find titles for the patron.

It can help track down why a patron isn't getting served, but because it does bog down the patron's comments, we don't recommend leaving it on for longer than needed. And of course, if you run it for a patron and need help interpreting the results, let us know and we'll take a look!

More
2 years 6 months ago #1125 by NC-Craig
Nightly Debug can be a very useful tool for diagnosing why someone hasn't gotten served by nightly over a time period. By turning it on you can see that pattern that nightly took to try and serve a patron. It generates a log file in the comments that shows how KLAS worked within the preferences and rules setup in Nightly against a patron's account. This can tell you how nightly tries acts to give you some clues about how things are setup with a patron's preferences and how nightly proceeds to serve that patron based on what it sees. What I would say is use it as a tool to help you tune your system. I use it even on my own account to test things at times, to see what nightly does based on how I set my own preferences. This was helpful when we first went to duplication on demand. It has also been useful over the years for when patrons call in complaining that they haven't been served in a while. Sometimes it's something Nightly has missed and sometimes it's something the patron has missed. Maybe they have exhausted their preferences or their focus is too narrow to fully serve them.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711