800-222-9711

Superheroes in the Catalog

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #1324 by kate kosior
The question has come up in our staff meeting about how to catalogue "Superheroes" as a possible subject heading.  Do other libraries do this?  We've had patrons ask about these types of books, and typically they are found under fantasy or sci fi, but the reader advisors typically have to do a little digging to find them and type in the actual names like Superman or Batman versus just "superheroes".  

Does anyone have a bibliography?  And do you use "Superheroes" as a subject code?

I do know how to add the subject code, for the record, more asking what other libraries do with this type of material.

Thanks!
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by kate kosior.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #1328 by massbibliophile
We don't have one for Superheros -- just heroes <smile>. This is an existing LC subject heading, so I searched for it and then built a query set. I used the Change Headings tool to add the heading to those titles. As of today, have 81 records for it. Edit: I have included a list of the KLAS IDs. I removed the large print and cassette records, so it is about 65 records.  

File Attachment:

File Name: HeroesSubj...ings.txt
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by massbibliophile.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1352 by dmalosh
Replied by dmalosh on topic Superheroes in the Catalog
I created a subject under Fantasy: "Fantasy - Superheroes". It's currently attached to 74 books. Sadly, it has no Likes (or Dislikes). This may be due to it being a soft launch; I might not have told Customer Service about its existence. (That's always a factor with subject heading usage, or under-usage.)

More
1 year 4 months ago #1353 by dylcalhoon
In KS we are starting to use a local heading ‘ Superheroes – Fiction’ . We have 130 titles that are using it and I don’t believe it’s a complete list yet. We searched KLAS using the LC Subject option to find which records NLS had used superhero/superheroes in their subject. The only problem is a lot of the DC and Marvel character names are used as a subject heading, so those records didn’t always have the word ‘superhero’ in the NLS subjects.  
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711