800-222-9711

KLAS UC 2018 Session Topic Brainstorming

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #317 by Andrea
Post your ideas for session topics here!!

Example: Creative Community Collaborations
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Andrea.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #318 by epawlus
  1. My previous suggestion: Fundraising (Possible title: Show Me the Money. I think there was another suggestion mentioned that I can't remember, too.)
  2. Serving Under-served Populations (i.e. languages, etc)
  3. From the post-Conference surveys: Respondent wants topic on cartridge and container labeling (Multistate Centers providing fewer options for free labels and PCC is a change from specific/permanent labeling)
  4. From the post-Conference surveys: breakout session for new employees

More
6 years 3 months ago #320 by patrick20k
RA-focused sessions tend to go over well.
Maybe a "Nuts and Bolts" session on how nightly works / how different patron profile and preference settings work together?
The following user(s) said Thank You: thorntonc

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #324 by thorntonc
Should we look to repeat topics at different times like in previous conferences? Before we did it to allow everyone an opportunity to get the full experience and not miss anything.
Please comment on new thread created KLAS UC 2018 Offering Repeat Sessions
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by thorntonc.

More
6 years 3 months ago #330 by aravenholt
I am interested in a session on using the RS Queue. We haven't used it because we probably never really understood it, and the RAs didn't like it. Am I right in thinking that Braille Institute uses it to serve patrons on PCC? At least, PCC is why I am interested in RS Queue again. I'm just scared of it because I crashed our system the last time I tried to divide the queue. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: NC-Craig

More
6 years 3 months ago #331 by aravenholt
I'm interested in outreach, especially outreach to staff in nursing homes and assisted living, and outreach staff in public libraries. I'm doing in-person visits, and could talk about that. We are looking for good examples of publications and flyers to be posted in these facilities, or handed out at health fairs, etc.
I'm also working on a database to track outreach--might be able to talk about that.
I'd also love to hear about how other libraries capture testimonials from patrons.

More
6 years 3 months ago #332 by aravenholt
My apologies if this is a duplicate:
Where is our service is headed? Some libraries are testing PCC and MOCA to close the digital divide for patrons who don’t download. How fast are those changes coming? And what are libraries planning to do staff-wise and service-wise once we aren't shipping out all those individual books on cartridges? What is the role of the RA, and of KLAS, when the books are being downloaded wirelessly to the NLS player?

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #333 by Andrea
IRC Birds of a Feather, IRC Roundtable, and / or an IRC Services Presentation

PCC Troubleshooting
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Andrea.

More
6 years 3 months ago #336 by NC-Craig
Hi Amy,

Kind of off subject from brainstorming. If you're still interested in using the RS Queue, I think NC may be one of the biggest, if not the biggest user of the RS Queue. We've been using it basically since its inception, many generations ago. I think it may have been developed based on our own needs in NC. Not sure of the full history. But It was there at least in KLAS version 5 and moved into version 7. One of the reason why we stayed with KLAS version 5 so long was partly because of how the RS Queue was implemented in how it was divided (Patrons vs Reasons). All this said, people are using it. We don't have PCC and still use it just fine. Yes, there will be lots of "reasons" in the queue when you first run it, if you haven't run it in a while. Once you get over this hurdle, I think you can then have some balance. Did I just sign myself up for another presentation? Oh well....

More
6 years 3 months ago #337 by NC-Craig
I wouldn't just classify this as an RA-focused session (although that's a good bucket to put it into). I would suggest that this is a topic of interest to catalogers and systems/automation librarians, as well. I handle all of these roles, in all of them it's good to have an understanding of how the system works with what you put into the patron AND the catalog record.

More
6 years 3 months ago #339 by epawlus
We also use the RS Queue daily - some RAs utilize it more than others.

More
6 years 3 months ago #340 by Andrea
Possible Keystone Sessions:

Workshops:
Analyzing Your Circulation Stats
WebOPAC Setup & Configuration
PCC Troubleshooting

Hands-on:
Using the KLAS Batch Manager to Run Reports
KLAS 102
Handing your NLS Data (including BARD, NLS MARC Records & PIMMS)
UX Testing of the new version of KLAS

General Sessions:
Printing Pretty - customizing labels, mailing cards, notices, and letters
KLAS: The Next Generation aka Future Development of KLAS

More
6 years 2 months ago #351 by Andrea
Could we consider "Analysing Your Circ Stats" as an additional General Session, if needed?

We can split the group on Wednesday morning during the General Sessions into NLS and IRC focused sessions,

Time to create page: 1.301 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711