800-222-9711

Deleting patron records & reading history in KLAS

More
3 years 5 months ago #950 by hwilliams
Our Records Analyst would like us to "destroy" patron records and reading records in KLAS for patrons who have been suspended for five years when we are also able to discard the patron application, per NLS policy. I confirmed with Keystone staff that there is no process within KLAS to completely erase a patron's reading record; after purging from the active patron module, it is still available in the "restore" function.

If others have addressed this same issue, I would like to know. Perhaps the wording of your retention record would be helpful to me in this case.

Any other insight is also welcome.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #952 by patrick20k
We'll be keeping an eye on this to see if others have need of a function to clear patron records and/or reading histories.

A couple things to note:
1 - Most likely, the circulation records would not actually be deleted, as that would affect your reports and statistics that rely on that data. Instead, they could perhaps be re-assigned to a generic library account, disassociating them from the patron and anonymizing them.
2 - If a function to purge patron reading histories was added, bear in mind that it would also clear all HasHad records the patron, since the HasHad markers are connected to the rest of their circulation history. In short: nothing would keep the patron from getting all the books they've had before.

With that, I'll step back and let other users chime in about their retention policies and how / whether they deal with these issues.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711