800-222-9711

Changing Series Sequence

More
4 years 7 months ago #676 by dylcalhoon
I haven't been able to find anything on the forums about this, but...

Currently whenever we correct the series sequence of a group of books we have to find the patrons with that series preference, delete it, and re-add the preference, to make sure they have the correct book on reserve.

Is there some sort of way to delete/re-add a series preference for a group of patrons? Please let me know if i need to clarify.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #684 by patrick20k
Replied by patrick20k on topic Changing Series Sequence
(This post is being manually restored due to a site maintenance issue.)
Originally posted on July 31, 2019:

Hello! I'm glad you asked.

Have you tried using the "Seed Series" function? While you have any book in the corrected series open, use the Functions Menu to open this tool, then click the "Create Series Reserves" button.

If you find that this is not removing the out-of-order reserves, at worst you would need to go through and delete the patrons' Series Reserves on the requests tab, then use Seed Series. However, I'm hopeful that it will be able to fix things up without needing to go patron-to-patron at all.

Let me know how it goes!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by patrick20k.

More
4 years 7 months ago #685 by patrick20k
Originally posted by dylcalhoon on August 1, 2019:

Good morning,

I just tried this twice, once with a series that had copies available and another that did not and this is what happened,

--Series With Copies
1. I created a series reserve on a series that books 1 and 2 were out of order in the sequence, the 1st book was assigned.
2. I changed the books to correct the series sequence.
3. I then tried to seed the series, the dialogue box comes up and will bring up the patrons with the series reserve, but nothing happened to the reserve on the catalogue or patron side and the assigned book was still on the patron module (Even after i closed both windows and refreshed them once i opened them again)
4. I then deleted the reserve from the requests tab in the catalogue.
5. That did delete the reserve on on both the patron and catalogue module. But the correct
number 1 sequence book was not reserved and the old assigned book was still assigned.

--Series Without Copies
1. I created a series reserve on a series that books 1 and 2 were out of order in the sequence.
2. I changed the books to correct the series sequence.
3. I then tried to seed the series, the dialogue box comes up and will bring up the patrons with the series reserve, but nothing happened to the reserve on the catalogue or patron side. (Even after i closed both windows and refreshed them once i opened them again)
4. I then deleted the reserve from the requests tab in the catalogue.
5. That did delete the reserve on on both the patron and catalogue module. But the correct
number 1 sequence book was not reserved. Is that something we just have to wait for nightly to do?

Thank you for your help!

More
4 years 7 months ago #686 by patrick20k
Originally posted on August 1, 2019:

Great testing!

For Series with Copies: Once a title is assigned, nothing in KLAS is going to automatically un-assign it, since for all it knows, the book could already be pulled and in a bin waiting for the mail carrier. If you want to unassign and correct out-of-order series books, that will need to be done manually so you can ensure there is not already a mailing card. As for why it did not assign or add a reserve for the new Book 1: it could see that the patrons already had a book in that series, due to the assigned Book 2.

Otherwise: It looks like Seed Series is not able to delete reserves to correct the order as I was hoping. I definitely expected it to add the reserves once the old one was deleted, but from your test, it looks like Seed Series will not add reserves for titles without any copies. Once one or more copies are added, either Seed Series or Nightly will get the assignments and reserves in place.

Bottom line: So it looks like ideally, you want to correct the series order and delete any out-of-order Series Reserves before adding copies. Otherwise, you'll likely need to manually unassign titles (if you are sure mail cards have not yet been printed for them) as well as deleting the reserves. After both of those have been done, either Seed Series or Nightly will be able to push out the correct Book 1.

(And the good news is, if and when you move to a duplication service model, you will likely have more than one title from the series on a cartridge, so if books 1 and 2 are swapped, it will just be a matter of bumping the second title up a notch on affected Service Queues, or can be left as-is with only minor inconvenience to the patrons.)

More
4 years 7 months ago #687 by patrick20k
Originally posted by dylcalhoon on August 1, 2019:

Thank you for your input on this, it has really helped!

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

KLAS Users - Keystone Systems, Inc. logo

Keystone Systems, Inc.
8016 Glenwood Ave., Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27612
800-222-9711